Best Places to Visit in El Dorado, Arkansas: El Dorado Things to Do, What is El Dorado, Arkansas known for (2024)

Charles H. Murphy, Sr., House 0.65 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Charles H. Murphy Sr. House in El Dorado, Arkansas, was built in 1925. The 2+1\u20442-story house was designed in Tudor Revival style by architect Charles L. Thompson, and built in 1925\u201326, during El Dorado's oil boom years. Charles Murphy was a major landowner, originally in the lumber business, who benefitted greatly from the oil boom due to the increased value of local real estate. He founded the predecessor company to Murphy Oil, which is still headquartered in El Dorado.

The house was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1983, and included in the Murphy-Hill Historic District in 2007.

" Randolph James House 0.85 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Randolph James House is a historic house at 1212 North Madison Avenue in El Dorado, Arkansas. The two-story stuccoed house was designed by Mann & Stern, and was built in 1927 for Randolph James by his father George, a principal in the local Exchange Bank who benefited from the city's oil boom in the 1920s. The house is a fine local example of Spanish Mission Revival styling, with wrought iron balconies, tile roof, stucco walls, and varied windows.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.

" Union County Courthouse 0.07 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

Union County Courthouse or Old Union County Courthouse may refer to:

  • Union County Courthouse (Arkansas), El Dorado, Arkansas
  • Union County Courthouse (Florida), Lake Butler, Florida
  • Old Union County Courthouse (Georgia), Blairsville, Georgia
  • Union County Courthouse (Illinois), Jonesboro, Illinois
  • Union County Courthouse (Indiana), Liberty, Indiana
  • Union County Courthouse (Iowa), Creston, Iowa
  • Union County Courthouse (Kentucky), Morganfield, Kentucky
  • Union County Courthouse (Mississippi), listed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • Union County Courthouse (New Jersey), Elizabeth, New Jersey
  • Union County Courthouse (New Mexico), Clayton, New Mexico
  • Union County Courthouse (North Carolina), Monroe, North Carolina
  • Old Union County Courthouse (Pennsylvania), New Berlin, Pennsylvania
" Municipal Building 0.07 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The David N. Dinkins Municipal Building (originally the Municipal Building and later known as the Manhattan Municipal Building) is a 40-story, 580-foot (180\u00a0m) building at 1 Centre Street, east of Chambers Street, in the Civic Center neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. The structure was built to accommodate increased governmental space demands after the 1898 consolidation of the city's five boroughs. Construction began in 1909 and continued through 1914 at a total cost of $12\u00a0million (equivalent to $242,396,000 in 2021).

Designed by McKim, Mead & White, the Manhattan Municipal Building was among the last buildings erected as part of the City Beautiful movement in New York. Its architectural style has been characterized as Roman Imperial, Italian Renaissance, French Renaissance, or Beaux-Arts. The Municipal Building is one of the largest governmental buildings in the world, with about 1\u00a0million square feet (93,000\u00a0m2) of office space. The base incorporates a subway station, while the top includes the gilded Civic Fame statue.

The Municipal Building was erected after three previous competitions to build a single municipal building for New York City's government had failed. In 1907, the city's Commissioner of Bridges held a competition to design the building in conjunction with a subway and trolley terminal at the Brooklyn Bridge, of which McKim, Mead & White's plan was selected. The first offices in the Municipal Building were occupied by 1913. In later years, it received several renovations, including elevator replacements in the 1930s and restorations in the mid-1970s and the late 1980s. The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the building a landmark in 1966, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

" Bank of Commerce 0.08 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC; French: Banque canadienne imp\u00e9riale de commerce) is a Canadian multinational banking and financial services corporation headquartered at CIBC Square in the Financial District of Toronto, Ontario. The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce was formed through the 1961 merger of the Canadian Bank of Commerce (founded in 1867) and the Imperial Bank of Canada (founded in 1873), in the largest merger between chartered banks in Canadian history. It is one of two \"Big Five\" banks founded in Toronto, the other being the Toronto-Dominion Bank.

The bank has four strategic business units: Canadian Personal and Business Banking, Canadian Commercial Banking and Wealth Management, U.S. Commercial Banking and Wealth Management, and Capital Markets. It has international operations in the United States, the Caribbean, Asia, and United Kingdom. Globally, CIBC serves more than eleven million clients, and has over 40,000 employees. The company ranks at number 172 on the Forbes Global 2000 listing.

CIBC's Institution Number (or bank number) is 010, and its SWIFT code is CIBCCATT.

" El Dorado Confederate Monument 0.09 7 Historic, Monuments And Memorials, Burial Places, Interesting Places, War Memorials, Monuments

The El Dorado Confederate Monument is located on the grounds of the Union County Courthouse in El Dorado, Arkansas, near the corner of North Main and South Washington Streets. It consists of a statue of a Confederate Army soldier in mid-stride, mounted on top of a temple-like structure supported by four cannon-shaped Ionic columns. The columns support a lintel structure bearing inscriptions on three sides, above which is a tiered roof with cannonballs at the corners. The temple structure is 15 feet (4.6\u00a0m) high, and 10 feet (3.0\u00a0m) square; the statue measures 76 inches (1.9\u00a0m) by 28 inches (0.71\u00a0m) by 28 inches (0.71\u00a0m). Both the statue and the temple are constructed of gray/blue striated marble.

The monument was built in 1910 at a cost of over $2,800, and was paid for by the local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. It is believed to be the first fountain-style Confederate monument in the South. The front (south) side of the monument is inscribed \"CSA 1861 - 1865 / ERECTED BY THE HENRY G. BUNN CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / 1909\". The north side is inscribed \"'TRUTH CRUSHED TO EARTH SHALL RISE AGAIN.' / 'EVEN DEATH CANNOT SEVER THE CORDS OF MEMORY.'\" The western lintel reads \"'IN HONOR OF THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS / OF UNION COUNTY, ARK.'\". The eastern lintel has a pair of crossed swords on it.

The monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. It was included in the El Dorado Commercial Historic District in 2003.

The statue was one of several monuments that became the center of controversy during the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests.

" Masonic Temple 0.1 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

A Masonic Temple or Masonic Hall is, within Freemasonry, the room or edifice where a Masonic Lodge meets. Masonic Temple may also refer to an abstract spiritual goal and the conceptual ritualistic space of a meeting.

" Rialto Theatre 0.13 7 Theatres And Entertainments, Cultural, Cinemas, Interesting Places

The Rialto Square Theatre is a theater in Joliet, Illinois (U.S.). Opening in 1926, it was originally designed and operated as a vaudeville movie palace, but it now houses mainly musicals, plays, concerts, and standup comedy. It is also available for public and private functions. Designed in the Neo-Baroque style, it is considered one of \"150 great places in Illinois\" by the American Institute of Architects.

" Exchange Bank building 0.13 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Bank, Banks, Tourist Facilities, Other Buildings And Structures

Exchange Bank Building may refer to:

  • Exchange Bank Building (Tallahassee, Florida)
  • Exchange Bank Building (Farmington, Minnesota)
" El Dorado Junior College Building 0.16 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The El Dorado Junior College Building is a historic academic building at 300 South West Avenue in El Dorado, Arkansas. The three story brick building was built in 1905 as a public school building for the county's white students. From 1925 to 1937 the building house El Dorado Junior College, the first such institution in southwestern Arkansas; it has seen a variety of public and private academic uses since then. The building is shaped roughly like a swastika, and has retained most of its external and internal Classical Revival style.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It is now part of the South Arkansas Community College campus.

" Griffin Auto Company Building 0.18 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Griffin Auto Company Building is a historic automobile sales and service facility at 117 East Locust Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. It is a single story structure built out of reinforced concrete, with a full basement. The main floor housed the sales and showroom area, and the service area was in the basement. The building also includes a filling station area, which is the most decorative portion of the otherwise utilitarian structure. This area has pilastered columns that frame the automobile entry area, and the walls above the shelter entrance is decorated with bands of terra cotta and brick ornamentation. The Griffin Auto Company was established by three brothers from North Carolina, beginning as a livery stable business in 1899 before branching out into the new world of the automobile in 1915. They moved out of the building in 1960, since when it has been used by a variety of other sales-oriented businesses. In 2017, the Griffin Restaurant opened as part of the Murphy Arts District. Four years later, it became the MuleKick.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, and was included in the El Dorado Commercial Historic District in 2003.

" First Presbyterian Church 0.2 7 Religion, Churches, Interesting Places, Other Churches

The Presbyterian Church (USA), abbreviated PC (USA), is a mainline Protestant denomination in the United States. It is the largest Presbyterian denomination in the country, known for its liberal stance on doctrine and its ordaining of women and members of the LGBT community as elders and ministers. The Presbyterian Church (USA) was established with the 1983 merger of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, whose churches were located in the Southern and border states, with the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, whose congregations could be found in every state.

The similarly named Presbyterian Church in America is a separate denomination whose congregations can also trace their history to the various schisms and mergers of Presbyterian churches in the United States. Unlike the more conservative Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), the Presbyterian Church (USA) supports the ordination of women and affirms same-sex marriages. It also welcomes practicing gay and lesbian persons to serve in leadership positions as ministers, deacons, elders, and trustees.

The Presbyterian Church (USA) is the largest Presbyterian denomination in the United States, having 1,140,665 active members and 18,173 ordained ministers (including retired ones) in 8,704 congregations at the end of 2022. This number does not include members who are baptized but not confirmed, or the inactive members also affiliated. For example, in 2005, the Presbyterian Church (USA) claimed 318,291 baptized but not confirmed members and nearly 500,000 inactive members in addition to active members. Its membership has been steadily declining over the past several decades; the trend has significantly accelerated in recent years, partly due to breakaway congregations. Average denominational worship attendance dropped to 431,379 in 2022 from 748,774 in 2013.

" W. F. & Estelle McWilliams House 0.22 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The W.F. & Estelle McWilliams House is a historic house at 314 Summit Avenue in El Dorado, Arkansas. The two story brick house was built in 1922 for William and Estelle McWilliams, early in El Dorado's oil boom, which was prompted by the discovery of oil in 1921. McWilliams was a prominent local businessman who operated a number of retail businesses, was a local bank director, and built the Rialto Theatre. The McWilliams house is a stylistically eclectic combination of Craftsman, Classical Revival, and Mission/Mediterranean styling. Based on stylistic evidence, it may have been designed by the Little Rock firm of Kolben, Hunter and Boyd.

In 1967 Claude and Glynn Calahan purchased the home and raised their children, Gordon Calahan and Melanie Calahan Walz, in it. The Calahan's purchased the home from The First Methodist Church of El Dorado in 1967. It was the church parsonage and many weddings were held in the large living room of the home.

The Calahan's lived in the home until 2018. Glynn Calahan, who owned an antique business, filled the home with antiques suitable for the style of the home.

The home and property are now owned by South Arkansas Community College and have been incorporated into the college campus which now surrounds the home.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.

" Newton House Museum 0.27 7 Biographical Museums, Historic House Museums, Museums, Cultural, Interesting Places, History Museums

The Newton House Museum, also known as the Matthew Rainey House, is a historic house museum at 510 North Jackson Street in El Dorado, Arkansas, United States. The house was built sometime between 1843 and 1853 by Matthew Rainey, El Dorado's first settler, and is the oldest building in the city. It is a vernacular two-story wood-frame structure with a central hall and rooms on either side. It stands at the edge of a 4-acre (1.6\u00a0ha) parcel, having been moved from its center in 1910.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and included in the Murphy-Hill Historic District in 2007. It is now owned by the South Arkansas Historical Foundation, which operates it as a museum.

" Henry Crawford McKinney House 0.43 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Henry Crawford McKinney House is a historic house at 510 East Faulkner Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. The 2+1\u20442-story red brick and stucco house was designed by Charles L. Thompson and built in 1925; it is one of the most elegant houses in the city, and is set on an elaborately landscaped parcel. The house was built for Henry Crawford McKinney, Sr., a prominent local landowner and banker, during the height of El Dorado's oil boom. Its interior decoration was done by Paul Heerwagen, best known for his murals in the Arkansas State Capitol.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

" El Dorado Apartments 0.46 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

El Dorado Apartments may refer to:

  • El Dorado Apartments (El Dorado, Arkansas), listed on the NRHP in Arkansas
  • Buildings at 1200-1206 Washington Street, Hoboken, New Jersey, known as the El Dorado Apartments
  • El Dorado Apartments (Fond du Lac, Wisconsin), listed on the NRHP in Wisconsin
  • The Eldorado, New York City
" Charles H. Murphy, Sr., House 0.65 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Charles H. Murphy Sr. House in El Dorado, Arkansas, was built in 1925. The 2+1\u20442-story house was designed in Tudor Revival style by architect Charles L. Thompson, and built in 1925\u201326, during El Dorado's oil boom years. Charles Murphy was a major landowner, originally in the lumber business, who benefitted greatly from the oil boom due to the increased value of local real estate. He founded the predecessor company to Murphy Oil, which is still headquartered in El Dorado.

The house was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1983, and included in the Murphy-Hill Historic District in 2007.

" Randolph James House 0.85 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Randolph James House is a historic house at 1212 North Madison Avenue in El Dorado, Arkansas. The two-story stuccoed house was designed by Mann & Stern, and was built in 1927 for Randolph James by his father George, a principal in the local Exchange Bank who benefited from the city's oil boom in the 1920s. The house is a fine local example of Spanish Mission Revival styling, with wrought iron balconies, tile roof, stucco walls, and varied windows.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.

" Union County Courthouse 0.07 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

Union County Courthouse or Old Union County Courthouse may refer to:

  • Union County Courthouse (Arkansas), El Dorado, Arkansas
  • Union County Courthouse (Florida), Lake Butler, Florida
  • Old Union County Courthouse (Georgia), Blairsville, Georgia
  • Union County Courthouse (Illinois), Jonesboro, Illinois
  • Union County Courthouse (Indiana), Liberty, Indiana
  • Union County Courthouse (Iowa), Creston, Iowa
  • Union County Courthouse (Kentucky), Morganfield, Kentucky
  • Union County Courthouse (Mississippi), listed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • Union County Courthouse (New Jersey), Elizabeth, New Jersey
  • Union County Courthouse (New Mexico), Clayton, New Mexico
  • Union County Courthouse (North Carolina), Monroe, North Carolina
  • Old Union County Courthouse (Pennsylvania), New Berlin, Pennsylvania
" Municipal Building 0.07 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The David N. Dinkins Municipal Building (originally the Municipal Building and later known as the Manhattan Municipal Building) is a 40-story, 580-foot (180\u00a0m) building at 1 Centre Street, east of Chambers Street, in the Civic Center neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. The structure was built to accommodate increased governmental space demands after the 1898 consolidation of the city's five boroughs. Construction began in 1909 and continued through 1914 at a total cost of $12\u00a0million (equivalent to $242,396,000 in 2021).

Designed by McKim, Mead & White, the Manhattan Municipal Building was among the last buildings erected as part of the City Beautiful movement in New York. Its architectural style has been characterized as Roman Imperial, Italian Renaissance, French Renaissance, or Beaux-Arts. The Municipal Building is one of the largest governmental buildings in the world, with about 1\u00a0million square feet (93,000\u00a0m2) of office space. The base incorporates a subway station, while the top includes the gilded Civic Fame statue.

The Municipal Building was erected after three previous competitions to build a single municipal building for New York City's government had failed. In 1907, the city's Commissioner of Bridges held a competition to design the building in conjunction with a subway and trolley terminal at the Brooklyn Bridge, of which McKim, Mead & White's plan was selected. The first offices in the Municipal Building were occupied by 1913. In later years, it received several renovations, including elevator replacements in the 1930s and restorations in the mid-1970s and the late 1980s. The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the building a landmark in 1966, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

" Bank of Commerce 0.08 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC; French: Banque canadienne imp\u00e9riale de commerce) is a Canadian multinational banking and financial services corporation headquartered at CIBC Square in the Financial District of Toronto, Ontario. The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce was formed through the 1961 merger of the Canadian Bank of Commerce (founded in 1867) and the Imperial Bank of Canada (founded in 1873), in the largest merger between chartered banks in Canadian history. It is one of two \"Big Five\" banks founded in Toronto, the other being the Toronto-Dominion Bank.

The bank has four strategic business units: Canadian Personal and Business Banking, Canadian Commercial Banking and Wealth Management, U.S. Commercial Banking and Wealth Management, and Capital Markets. It has international operations in the United States, the Caribbean, Asia, and United Kingdom. Globally, CIBC serves more than eleven million clients, and has over 40,000 employees. The company ranks at number 172 on the Forbes Global 2000 listing.

CIBC's Institution Number (or bank number) is 010, and its SWIFT code is CIBCCATT.

" El Dorado Confederate Monument 0.09 7 Historic, Monuments And Memorials, Burial Places, Interesting Places, War Memorials, Monuments

The El Dorado Confederate Monument is located on the grounds of the Union County Courthouse in El Dorado, Arkansas, near the corner of North Main and South Washington Streets. It consists of a statue of a Confederate Army soldier in mid-stride, mounted on top of a temple-like structure supported by four cannon-shaped Ionic columns. The columns support a lintel structure bearing inscriptions on three sides, above which is a tiered roof with cannonballs at the corners. The temple structure is 15 feet (4.6\u00a0m) high, and 10 feet (3.0\u00a0m) square; the statue measures 76 inches (1.9\u00a0m) by 28 inches (0.71\u00a0m) by 28 inches (0.71\u00a0m). Both the statue and the temple are constructed of gray/blue striated marble.

The monument was built in 1910 at a cost of over $2,800, and was paid for by the local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. It is believed to be the first fountain-style Confederate monument in the South. The front (south) side of the monument is inscribed \"CSA 1861 - 1865 / ERECTED BY THE HENRY G. BUNN CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / 1909\". The north side is inscribed \"'TRUTH CRUSHED TO EARTH SHALL RISE AGAIN.' / 'EVEN DEATH CANNOT SEVER THE CORDS OF MEMORY.'\" The western lintel reads \"'IN HONOR OF THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS / OF UNION COUNTY, ARK.'\". The eastern lintel has a pair of crossed swords on it.

The monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. It was included in the El Dorado Commercial Historic District in 2003.

The statue was one of several monuments that became the center of controversy during the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests.

" Masonic Temple 0.1 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

A Masonic Temple or Masonic Hall is, within Freemasonry, the room or edifice where a Masonic Lodge meets. Masonic Temple may also refer to an abstract spiritual goal and the conceptual ritualistic space of a meeting.

" Rialto Theatre 0.13 7 Theatres And Entertainments, Cultural, Cinemas, Interesting Places

Rialto Theatre may refer to:

" Exchange Bank building 0.13 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Bank, Banks, Tourist Facilities, Other Buildings And Structures

Exchange Bank Building may refer to:

  • Exchange Bank Building (Tallahassee, Florida)
  • Exchange Bank Building (Farmington, Minnesota)
" El Dorado Junior College Building 0.16 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The El Dorado Junior College Building is a historic academic building at 300 South West Avenue in El Dorado, Arkansas. The three story brick building was built in 1905 as a public school building for the county's white students. From 1925 to 1937 the building house El Dorado Junior College, the first such institution in southwestern Arkansas; it has seen a variety of public and private academic uses since then. The building is shaped roughly like a swastika, and has retained most of its external and internal Classical Revival style.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It is now part of the South Arkansas Community College campus.

" Griffin Auto Company Building 0.18 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Griffin Auto Company Building is a historic automobile sales and service facility at 117 East Locust Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. It is a single story structure built out of reinforced concrete, with a full basement. The main floor housed the sales and showroom area, and the service area was in the basement. The building also includes a filling station area, which is the most decorative portion of the otherwise utilitarian structure. This area has pilastered columns that frame the automobile entry area, and the walls above the shelter entrance is decorated with bands of terra cotta and brick ornamentation. The Griffin Auto Company was established by three brothers from North Carolina, beginning as a livery stable business in 1899 before branching out into the new world of the automobile in 1915. They moved out of the building in 1960, since when it has been used by a variety of other sales-oriented businesses. In 2017, the Griffin Restaurant opened as part of the Murphy Arts District. Four years later, it became the MuleKick.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, and was included in the El Dorado Commercial Historic District in 2003.

" First Presbyterian Church 0.2 7 Religion, Churches, Interesting Places, Other Churches

The Presbyterian Church (USA), abbreviated PC (USA), is a mainline Protestant denomination in the United States. It is the largest Presbyterian denomination in the country, known for its liberal stance on doctrine and its ordaining of women and members of the LGBT community as elders and ministers. The Presbyterian Church (USA) was established with the 1983 merger of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, whose churches were located in the Southern and border states, with the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, whose congregations could be found in every state.

The similarly named Presbyterian Church in America is a separate denomination whose congregations can also trace their history to the various schisms and mergers of Presbyterian churches in the United States. Unlike the more conservative Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), the Presbyterian Church (USA) supports the ordination of women and affirms same-sex marriages. It also welcomes practicing gay and lesbian persons to serve in leadership positions as ministers, deacons, elders, and trustees.

The Presbyterian Church (USA) is the largest Presbyterian denomination in the United States, having 1,140,665 active members and 18,173 ordained ministers (including retired ones) in 8,704 congregations at the end of 2022. This number does not include members who are baptized but not confirmed, or the inactive members also affiliated. For example, in 2005, the Presbyterian Church (USA) claimed 318,291 baptized but not confirmed members and nearly 500,000 inactive members in addition to active members. Its membership has been steadily declining over the past several decades; the trend has significantly accelerated in recent years, partly due to breakaway congregations. Average denominational worship attendance dropped to 431,379 in 2022 from 748,774 in 2013.

" W. F. & Estelle McWilliams House 0.22 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The W.F. & Estelle McWilliams House is a historic house at 314 Summit Avenue in El Dorado, Arkansas. The two story brick house was built in 1922 for William and Estelle McWilliams, early in El Dorado's oil boom, which was prompted by the discovery of oil in 1921. McWilliams was a prominent local businessman who operated a number of retail businesses, was a local bank director, and built the Rialto Theatre. The McWilliams house is a stylistically eclectic combination of Craftsman, Classical Revival, and Mission/Mediterranean styling. Based on stylistic evidence, it may have been designed by the Little Rock firm of Kolben, Hunter and Boyd.

In 1967 Claude and Glynn Calahan purchased the home and raised their children, Gordon Calahan and Melanie Calahan Walz, in it. The Calahan's purchased the home from The First Methodist Church of El Dorado in 1967. It was the church parsonage and many weddings were held in the large living room of the home.

The Calahan's lived in the home until 2018. Glynn Calahan, who owned an antique business, filled the home with antiques suitable for the style of the home.

The home and property are now owned by South Arkansas Community College and have been incorporated into the college campus which now surrounds the home.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.

" Newton House Museum 0.27 7 Biographical Museums, Historic House Museums, Museums, Cultural, Interesting Places, History Museums

The Newton House Museum, also known as the Matthew Rainey House, is a historic house museum at 510 North Jackson Street in El Dorado, Arkansas, United States. The house was built sometime between 1843 and 1853 by Matthew Rainey, El Dorado's first settler, and is the oldest building in the city. It is a vernacular two-story wood-frame structure with a central hall and rooms on either side. It stands at the edge of a 4-acre (1.6\u00a0ha) parcel, having been moved from its center in 1910.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and included in the Murphy-Hill Historic District in 2007. It is now owned by the South Arkansas Historical Foundation, which operates it as a museum.

" Henry Crawford McKinney House 0.43 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The Henry Crawford McKinney House is a historic house at 510 East Faulkner Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. The 2+1\u20442-story red brick and stucco house was designed by Charles L. Thompson and built in 1925; it is one of the most elegant houses in the city, and is set on an elaborately landscaped parcel. The house was built for Henry Crawford McKinney, Sr., a prominent local landowner and banker, during the height of El Dorado's oil boom. Its interior decoration was done by Paul Heerwagen, best known for his murals in the Arkansas State Capitol.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

" El Dorado Apartments 0.46 7 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

El Dorado Apartments may refer to:

  • El Dorado Apartments (El Dorado, Arkansas), listed on the NRHP in Arkansas
  • Buildings at 1200-1206 Washington Street, Hoboken, New Jersey, known as the El Dorado Apartments
  • El Dorado Apartments (Fond du Lac, Wisconsin), listed on the NRHP in Wisconsin
  • The Eldorado, New York City
" J.H. McWilliams House 0.13 6 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The J.H. McWilliams House is a historic house at 323 West Oak Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. This two story brick house was built in 1925\u201326, during the city's oil boom years. It is the last surviving house out of a row of \"oil boom\" mansions which originally lined Oak Street. The house is built out of buff brick, and has Mediterranean styling. It was in the McWilliams family until the early 1970s, and then saw a variety of commercial uses, declining in condition. In the early 2000s it was restored.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

" Rumph Mortuary 0.16 6 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

Perry\u2019s Funeral Chapel known for many years as Rumph Mortuary is a historic commercial building at 312 West Oak Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. Built in 1927, it is a two-story red brick building, with a three-bay facade topped by a crenellated Gothic parapet. Charles Rumph, known as \u201cC.B.\u201d came to El Dorado in the early 1920\u2019s after the passing of his mother Martha Proctor Rumph, one of the original owners of Proctor Funeral Home in Camden, Arkansas. C.B. Rumph originally partnered with W.F. McWilliams, a local banker and furniture store owner. Their first location was on the corner of Elm and Cleveland and went by Rumph & McWilliams Undertaking. Rumph was the mortician and McWilliams supplied the caskets through his furniture store and the ambulances through his Studebaker dealership. However, in 1927 Rumph opened on his own and died young, forcing his two sons Tom and Dudley to become morticians and take over the operation. Through those years the funeral home was known as Rumph Mortuary, Rumph Undertaking & Ambulance Service, Rumph Funeral Directors, and Rumph Funeral Home. The firm had several owners after Tom and Dudley Rumph handed it down and several name changes all including the original Rumph name. Then in 2003 the name changed to Perry\u2019s Funeral Chapel. This is the oldest funeral home in Arkansas and it has remained mostly untouched and unchanged as a monument to the oldest and noblest profession: undertaking.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.

" J.H. McWilliams House 0.13 6 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

The J.H. McWilliams House is a historic house at 323 West Oak Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. This two story brick house was built in 1925\u201326, during the city's oil boom years. It is the last surviving house out of a row of \"oil boom\" mansions which originally lined Oak Street. The house is built out of buff brick, and has Mediterranean styling. It was in the McWilliams family until the early 1970s, and then saw a variety of commercial uses, declining in condition. In the early 2000s it was restored.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

" Rumph Mortuary 0.16 6 Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures

Perry\u2019s Funeral Chapel known for many years as Rumph Mortuary is a historic commercial building at 312 West Oak Street in El Dorado, Arkansas. Built in 1927, it is a two-story red brick building, with a three-bay facade topped by a crenellated Gothic parapet. Charles Rumph, known as \u201cC.B.\u201d came to El Dorado in the early 1920\u2019s after the passing of his mother Martha Proctor Rumph, one of the original owners of Proctor Funeral Home in Camden, Arkansas. C.B. Rumph originally partnered with W.F. McWilliams, a local banker and furniture store owner. Their first location was on the corner of Elm and Cleveland and went by Rumph & McWilliams Undertaking. Rumph was the mortician and McWilliams supplied the caskets through his furniture store and the ambulances through his Studebaker dealership. However, in 1927 Rumph opened on his own and died young, forcing his two sons Tom and Dudley to become morticians and take over the operation. Through those years the funeral home was known as Rumph Mortuary, Rumph Undertaking & Ambulance Service, Rumph Funeral Directors, and Rumph Funeral Home. The firm had several owners after Tom and Dudley Rumph handed it down and several name changes all including the original Rumph name. Then in 2003 the name changed to Perry\u2019s Funeral Chapel. This is the oldest funeral home in Arkansas and it has remained mostly untouched and unchanged as a monument to the oldest and noblest profession: undertaking.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.

" South Arkansas Arboretum 1.24 2 Urban Environment, Gardens And Parks, Cultural, Interesting Places

The South Arkansas Arboretum is an arboretum and botanical garden owned by the local school system but operated as Arkansas's 50th state park by the South Arkansas Community College. It is located next to the former El Dorado High School in El Dorado, Arkansas, USA and open daily except for holidays.

The 3-acre (1.2\u00a0ha) arboretum features plants indigenous to Arkansas's West Gulf Coastal Plain region, plus flowering azaleas and camellias. Signs identify many of the trees, including shortleaf and loblolly pines, southern and sweet bay magnolias, black gum, white ash, American sycamore, Carolina beech, American holly, black cherry, sugar maple, and oak species such as water, post, southern red, white and overcup.

Opened in 1965, the arboretum is Arkansas's only state park located within a city. It includes more than two miles (3\u00a0km) of paved trails.

" South Arkansas Arboretum 1.24 2 Urban Environment, Gardens And Parks, Cultural, Interesting Places

The South Arkansas Arboretum is an arboretum and botanical garden owned by the local school system but operated as Arkansas's 50th state park by the South Arkansas Community College. It is located next to the former El Dorado High School in El Dorado, Arkansas, USA and open daily except for holidays.

The 3-acre (1.2\u00a0ha) arboretum features plants indigenous to Arkansas's West Gulf Coastal Plain region, plus flowering azaleas and camellias. Signs identify many of the trees, including shortleaf and loblolly pines, southern and sweet bay magnolias, black gum, white ash, American sycamore, Carolina beech, American holly, black cherry, sugar maple, and oak species such as water, post, southern red, white and overcup.

Opened in 1965, the arboretum is Arkansas's only state park located within a city. It includes more than two miles (3\u00a0km) of paved trails.

" Greater Paradise Missionary Baptist Church 0.61 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Triumph Church 0.64 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Fairview Theatre 0.66 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Fairview is a 2018 comedy play written by Jackie Sibblies Drury. The play was co-commissioned by Berkeley Rep and Soho Repertory Theatre. The play follows a middle class African-American family as they prepare for a birthday dinner for their grandmother only to be watched by four White people.

" Southside Baptist Church 0.68 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places East Faulkner Church of Christ 0.69 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Second Baptist Church 0.71 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Bethlehem Healing Temple 0.71 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Apostolic Gospel Church 0.71 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places New Bethel Baptist Church 0.73 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Good Samaritan Church 0.76 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First United Pentecostal Church 0.81 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Community of Christ 0.81 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Saint James Baptist Church 0.82 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Faith Tabernacle Church 0.83 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Fairview Church of God in Christ 0.86 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint John Missionary Baptist Church 0.87 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Hillsboro Street Church of Christ 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Mennonite Church 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of God in Christ 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Christian Fellowship Church 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Church of God 0.92 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Assembly of God Church 0.93 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Faith Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church 0.94 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Lee Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church 0.97 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Arlington Cemetery 0.98 1 Cemeteries, Historic, Burial Places, Interesting Places Church of God in Christ 1.06 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint James Baptist Church 1.08 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places The Fellowship of Jesus Christ Church 1.1 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Parkview Baptist Church 1.11 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Paul United Methodist Church 1.16 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Shady Grave Church 1.2 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Eastside Baptist Church 1.2 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Mount Calvary Baptist Church 1.26 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Union Mission Baptist Church 1.26 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Luke Spiritual Church 1.27 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Starlight Baptist Church 1.29 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Victory Baptist Church 1.29 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Grace Bible Church 1.29 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Andrews Cumberland Presbyterian Church 1.31 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Douglas Chapel Baptist Church 1.32 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places El Dorado Cinemas 1.37 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Road to El Dorado is a 2000 American animated adventure film produced by DreamWorks Animation and released by DreamWorks Pictures. It was the third animated feature produced by DreamWorks. The film was directed by Eric \"Bibo\" Bergeron and Don Paul (in their feature directorial debuts), with additional sequences directed by Will Finn and David Silverman. The film's screenplay was written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. The film stars the voices of Kevin Kline, Kenneth Branagh, Rosie Perez, Armand Assante, and Edward James Olmos.

The soundtrack features an instrumental score composed by Hans Zimmer and John Powell, and songs written by Elton John and Tim Rice. John also periodically narrates the story in song throughout the film. The plot follows two con artists who, after winning the map to El Dorado in Spain, wash ashore in the New World. The map lead them to the city of El Dorado, where its inhabitants mistake them for gods.

The Road to El Dorado was released on March 31, 2000 to mixed reviews from critics and performed poorly at the box office, grossing $76 million worldwide on a production budget of about $95 million. Zimmer's work on the incidental score, however, received praise and earned him the Critics' Choice Award for Best Composer alongside his work on Gladiator, also released in 2000. Despite its initial reception, re-evaluation in later years has resulted in The Road to El Dorado gaining a cult following.

" Power House Pentecostal Church 1.38 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Sky-Vue Drive-In 1.39 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Lamesa ( l\u0259-MEE-s\u0259) is a city in and the county seat of Dawson County, Texas, United States. The population was 8,674 at the 2020 census, down from 9,952 at the 2000 census. Located south of Lubbock on the Llano Estacado, Lamesa was founded in 1903. Most of its economy is based on cotton farming. The Preston E. Smith prison unit, named for the former governor of Texas, is located just outside Lamesa.

" East Main Baptist Church 1.39 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of Christ 1.4 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places College Avenue Church of Christ 1.4 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Sunlight Church of God in Christ 1.5 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of Christ 1.53 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Trinity Baptist Church 1.53 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Bouldware Temple 1.54 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Pentecostal Fellowship Church 1.55 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Friendship Primitive Baptist Church 1.56 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Friendship Cemetery 1.57 1 Cemeteries, Historic, Burial Places, Interesting Places Faith Assembly of God Church 1.61 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Forest Grove Baptist Church 1.66 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Olive Branch Baptist Church 1.77 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Marrable Hill Chapel 1.81 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Baptist Church 0.04 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Majestic Theatre 0.08 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

The Majestic Theatre is a Broadway theater at 245 West 44th Street in the Theater District of Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Opened in 1927, the theater was designed by Herbert J. Krapp in a Spanish style and was built for real-estate developer Irwin S. Chanin. It has 1,681 seats across two levels and is operated by The Shubert Organization. Both the facade and interior are New York City landmarks.

The facade is designed in a Spanish style with golden brick, terracotta, and stone and is divided into two sections. The western portion of the facade contains the theater's entrance, with fire-escape galleries and a terracotta pediment above. The eastern portion is the stage house and is topped by archways. The auditorium contains Adam style detailing, steep stadium seating in the orchestra level, a large balcony, and an expansive plaster dome. Due to the slope of the seats, the rear of the orchestra is one story above ground. An interior leads to a large staircase, which connects to the rears of both the orchestra and balcony. The balcony has extensive decoration, and there are also box seats near the front of the auditorium at balcony level.

The Majestic, Bernard B. Jacobs, and John Golden theaters, along with the Lincoln Hotel, were all developed by Chanin and designed by Krapp as part of a theater/hotel complex. The Shuberts have operated the Majestic since 1930. The Majestic was always intended as a venue for major musical theater productions because of its large size. Among the shows that premiered at the Majestic are Carousel, South Pacific, The Music Man, Camelot, A Little Night Music, and The Wiz. From 1988 to 2023, the theater housed The Phantom of the Opera, which was the longest-running production in Broadway history when it closed.

" Mission Theatre 0.08 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Mission Theatre is a theatre in Bath, England.

In 2004, the Next Stage Theatre Company took possession of a grade II listed building originally built as a Congregational hall in 1797. During World War II the building was used by Air Raid Wardens. It was used by The People's Mission until 1998, when building work began to convert it into a theatre.

It is now owned by the Bath and North East Somerset Council, which has granted a lease to occupy and use the building as a 100-seat theatre, arts centre and multi-purpose facility for community activities.

On the first floor there is a small 30-seat theatre (The Theatre Upstairs) and a Bistro open during the day and providing meals before performances in the theatre.

" Manhattan Theatre 0.13 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Manhattan Theatre was located at 102 West 33rd Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, directly across from Greeley Square at Sixth Avenue and 33rd Street. The 1,100-seat theatre opened in 1875 as the Eagle Theatre, and was renamed the Standard Theatre in 1878. All but destroyed by a fire in 1883, it was rebuilt in a more modern style and re-opened in December 1884. In 1898, the Standard was refurbished by architect Howard Constable and renamed the Manhattan Theatre. The theatre was demolished in 1909 for the construction of a flagship Gimbels department store, now the Manhattan Mall.

" Dillingham Theatre 0.13 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, originally the Globe Theatre, is a Broadway theater at 205 West 46th Street in the Theater District of Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Opened in 1910, the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre was designed by Carr\u00e8re and Hastings in the Beaux-Arts style for Charles Dillingham. The theater is named after theatrical couple Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne; its original name was inspired by that of the Globe Theatre, London's Shakespearean playhouse. The current configuration of the interior, dating to 1958, has about 1,519 seats across two levels and is operated by the Nederlander Organization. The facade is a New York City landmark.

The theater's only surviving facade is on 46th Street and was once the carriage entrance. The ground level contains the theater's entrance on the east, as well as exits from the auditorium and stage house. On the upper stories, the facade contains a five-bay-wide central pavilion with arches, flanked by simpler pavilions on either side. Another entrance on Broadway, with an ornate lobby, was demolished in 1958. The auditorium originally contained three levels and box seating prior to its reconfiguration. The tiled roof and the auditorium's ceiling were designed with retractable sections, which are no longer in use.

The Globe Theatre opened on January 10, 1910. Most of the Globe's early shows were revues and musicals, including several productions by Dillingham. The Globe was converted into a movie house operated by the Brandt chain in the 1930s. City Playhouses Inc., a partnership between developers Robert W. Dowling and William Zeckendorf, bought it in 1957. After the firm Roche and Roche completely renovated the interior, the former Globe was renamed and reopened on May 5, 1958. City Playhouses sold the Lunt-Fontanne to producers Cy Feuer and Ernest H. Martin in 1960, and it was then sold to developer Stanley Stahl in 1965. The Nederlanders have operated the theater since 1973.

" Princess Theatre 0.15 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Princess Theatre or Princess Theater may refer to:

" Ritz Theatre 0.17 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

Ritz Theatre or Ritz Theater is the name of several facilities:

In England
  • Ritz Theatre (Lincoln, England)
In Australia
  • Ritz Cinema, Sydney, a heritage-listed theatre in Sydney, New South Wales
In the United States
  • Ritz Theatre (Brunswick, Georgia), contributing property of the Brunswick Old Town Historic District
  • Ritz Theatre (Jacksonville), Duval County, Florida
  • Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center, Sanford, Seminole County, Florida, formerly the Ritz Theater, the Milane Theatre, and the Helen Stairs Theatre
  • Ritz Theatre (Haddon Township, New Jersey)
  • Ritz Theater (Newburgh, New York), Orange County
  • Walter Kerr Theatre, New York City, originally the Ritz Theatre
  • Ritz Theatre and Hoskins Rexall Drug Store No. 2, on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Anderson County, Tennessee
  • Ritz (Austin, Texas)
  • Ritz Theatre (Elizabeth, New Jersey)
" Holy Redeemer Catholic Church 0.19 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First United Methodist Church 0.21 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Presbyterian Cemetery 0.21 1 Cemeteries, Historic, Burial Places, Interesting Places Rex Theatre 0.21 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

Rex Theatre or Rex Theater may refer to:

" St. Louis Theatre 0.22 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

The Fox Theatre, a former movie palace, is a performing arts center located at 527 N. Grand Blvd. in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Also known as \"The Fabulous Fox\", it is situated in the arts district of the Grand Center area in Midtown St. Louis, one block north of Saint Louis University. It opened in 1929 and was completely restored in 1982.

" Salvation Army Citadel 0.25 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of God 0.27 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Star Theatre 0.31 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Star Theatre(s) or Star Theater(s) may refer to several cinemas or theatres, including:

" Plaza Theatre 0.39 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

Plaza Theatre or Plaza Theater may refer to:

" Savoy Theatre 0.39 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

The Savoy Theatre is a West End theatre in the Strand in the City of Westminster, London, England. The theatre was designed by C. J. Phipps for Richard D'Oyly Carte and opened on 10 October 1881 on a site previously occupied by the Savoy Palace. Its intended purpose was to showcase the popular series of comic operas of Gilbert and Sullivan, which became known as the Savoy operas.

The theatre was the first public building in the world to be lit entirely by electricity. For many years, the Savoy Theatre was the home of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, which continued to be run by the Carte family for over a century. Richard's son Rupert D'Oyly Carte rebuilt and modernised the theatre in 1929, and it was rebuilt again in 1993 following a fire. It is a Grade II* listed building.

In addition to The Mikado and other famous Gilbert and Sullivan premi\u00e8res, the theatre has hosted such premi\u00e8res as the first public performance in England of Oscar Wilde's Salome (1931) and No\u00ebl Coward's Blithe Spirit (1941). In recent years it has presented opera, Shakespeare and other non-musical plays, and musicals.

" Old Path Assembly Church 0.41 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Immanuel Baptist Church 0.46 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Christian Church 0.48 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Marys Episcopal Church 0.51 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Westminster Presbyterian Church 0.54 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Grace Missionary Baptist Church 0.59 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Greater Paradise Missionary Baptist Church 0.61 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Triumph Church 0.64 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Fairview Theatre 0.66 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Fairview is a 2018 comedy play written by Jackie Sibblies Drury. The play was co-commissioned by Berkeley Rep and Soho Repertory Theatre. The play follows a middle class African-American family as they prepare for a birthday dinner for their grandmother only to be watched by four White people.

" Southside Baptist Church 0.68 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places East Faulkner Church of Christ 0.69 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Second Baptist Church 0.71 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Bethlehem Healing Temple 0.71 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Apostolic Gospel Church 0.71 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places New Bethel Baptist Church 0.73 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Good Samaritan Church 0.76 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First United Pentecostal Church 0.81 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Community of Christ 0.81 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Saint James Baptist Church 0.82 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Faith Tabernacle Church 0.83 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Fairview Church of God in Christ 0.86 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint John Missionary Baptist Church 0.87 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Hillsboro Street Church of Christ 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Mennonite Church 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of God in Christ 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Christian Fellowship Church 0.9 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Church of God 0.92 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Assembly of God Church 0.93 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Faith Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church 0.94 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Lee Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church 0.97 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Arlington Cemetery 0.98 1 Cemeteries, Historic, Burial Places, Interesting Places Church of God in Christ 1.06 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint James Baptist Church 1.08 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places The Fellowship of Jesus Christ Church 1.1 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Parkview Baptist Church 1.11 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Paul United Methodist Church 1.16 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Shady Grave Church 1.2 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Eastside Baptist Church 1.2 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Mount Calvary Baptist Church 1.26 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Union Mission Baptist Church 1.26 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Luke Spiritual Church 1.27 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Starlight Baptist Church 1.29 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Victory Baptist Church 1.29 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Grace Bible Church 1.29 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Andrews Cumberland Presbyterian Church 1.31 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Douglas Chapel Baptist Church 1.32 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places El Dorado Cinemas 1.37 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Road to El Dorado is a 2000 American animated adventure film produced by DreamWorks Animation and released by DreamWorks Pictures. It was the third animated feature produced by DreamWorks. The film was directed by Eric \"Bibo\" Bergeron and Don Paul (in their feature directorial debuts), with additional sequences directed by Will Finn and David Silverman. The film's screenplay was written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. The film stars the voices of Kevin Kline, Kenneth Branagh, Rosie Perez, Armand Assante, and Edward James Olmos.

The soundtrack features an instrumental score composed by Hans Zimmer and John Powell, and songs written by Elton John and Tim Rice. John also periodically narrates the story in song throughout the film. The plot follows two con artists who, after winning the map to El Dorado in Spain, wash ashore in the New World. The map lead them to the city of El Dorado, where its inhabitants mistake them for gods.

The Road to El Dorado was released on March 31, 2000 to mixed reviews from critics and performed poorly at the box office, grossing $76 million worldwide on a production budget of about $95 million. Zimmer's work on the incidental score, however, received praise and earned him the Critics' Choice Award for Best Composer alongside his work on Gladiator, also released in 2000. Despite its initial reception, re-evaluation in later years has resulted in The Road to El Dorado gaining a cult following.

" Power House Pentecostal Church 1.38 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Sky-Vue Drive-In 1.39 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Lamesa ( l\u0259-MEE-s\u0259) is a city in and the county seat of Dawson County, Texas, United States. The population was 8,674 at the 2020 census, down from 9,952 at the 2000 census. Located south of Lubbock on the Llano Estacado, Lamesa was founded in 1903. Most of its economy is based on cotton farming. The Preston E. Smith prison unit, named for the former governor of Texas, is located just outside Lamesa.

" East Main Baptist Church 1.39 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of Christ 1.4 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places College Avenue Church of Christ 1.4 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Sunlight Church of God in Christ 1.5 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of Christ 1.53 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Trinity Baptist Church 1.53 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Bouldware Temple 1.54 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Pentecostal Fellowship Church 1.55 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Friendship Primitive Baptist Church 1.56 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Friendship Cemetery 1.57 1 Cemeteries, Historic, Burial Places, Interesting Places Faith Assembly of God Church 1.61 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Forest Grove Baptist Church 1.66 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Olive Branch Baptist Church 1.77 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Marrable Hill Chapel 1.81 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Baptist Church 0.04 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Majestic Theatre 0.08 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

The Majestic Theatre is a Broadway theater at 245 West 44th Street in the Theater District of Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Opened in 1927, the theater was designed by Herbert J. Krapp in a Spanish style and was built for real-estate developer Irwin S. Chanin. It has 1,681 seats across two levels and is operated by The Shubert Organization. Both the facade and interior are New York City landmarks.

The facade is designed in a Spanish style with golden brick, terracotta, and stone and is divided into two sections. The western portion of the facade contains the theater's entrance, with fire-escape galleries and a terracotta pediment above. The eastern portion is the stage house and is topped by archways. The auditorium contains Adam style detailing, steep stadium seating in the orchestra level, a large balcony, and an expansive plaster dome. Due to the slope of the seats, the rear of the orchestra is one story above ground. An interior leads to a large staircase, which connects to the rears of both the orchestra and balcony. The balcony has extensive decoration, and there are also box seats near the front of the auditorium at balcony level.

The Majestic, Bernard B. Jacobs, and John Golden theaters, along with the Lincoln Hotel, were all developed by Chanin and designed by Krapp as part of a theater/hotel complex. The Shuberts have operated the Majestic since 1930. The Majestic was always intended as a venue for major musical theater productions because of its large size. Among the shows that premiered at the Majestic are Carousel, South Pacific, The Music Man, Camelot, A Little Night Music, and The Wiz. From 1988 to 2023, the theater housed The Phantom of the Opera, which was the longest-running production in Broadway history when it closed.

" Mission Theatre 0.08 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Mission Theatre is a theatre in Bath, England.

In 2004, the Next Stage Theatre Company took possession of a grade II listed building originally built as a Congregational hall in 1797. During World War II the building was used by Air Raid Wardens. It was used by The People's Mission until 1998, when building work began to convert it into a theatre.

It is now owned by the Bath and North East Somerset Council, which has granted a lease to occupy and use the building as a 100-seat theatre, arts centre and multi-purpose facility for community activities.

On the first floor there is a small 30-seat theatre (The Theatre Upstairs) and a Bistro open during the day and providing meals before performances in the theatre.

" Manhattan Theatre 0.13 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Manhattan Theatre was located at 102 West 33rd Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, directly across from Greeley Square at Sixth Avenue and 33rd Street. The 1,100-seat theatre opened in 1875 as the Eagle Theatre, and was renamed the Standard Theatre in 1878. All but destroyed by a fire in 1883, it was rebuilt in a more modern style and re-opened in December 1884. In 1898, the Standard was refurbished by architect Howard Constable and renamed the Manhattan Theatre. The theatre was demolished in 1909 for the construction of a flagship Gimbels department store, now the Manhattan Mall.

" Dillingham Theatre 0.13 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

The Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, originally the Globe Theatre, is a Broadway theater at 205 West 46th Street in the Theater District of Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Opened in 1910, the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre was designed by Carr\u00e8re and Hastings in the Beaux-Arts style for Charles Dillingham. The theater is named after theatrical couple Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne; its original name was inspired by that of the Globe Theatre, London's Shakespearean playhouse. The current configuration of the interior, dating to 1958, has about 1,519 seats across two levels and is operated by the Nederlander Organization. The facade is a New York City landmark.

The theater's only surviving facade is on 46th Street and was once the carriage entrance. The ground level contains the theater's entrance on the east, as well as exits from the auditorium and stage house. On the upper stories, the facade contains a five-bay-wide central pavilion with arches, flanked by simpler pavilions on either side. Another entrance on Broadway, with an ornate lobby, was demolished in 1958. The auditorium originally contained three levels and box seating prior to its reconfiguration. The tiled roof and the auditorium's ceiling were designed with retractable sections, which are no longer in use.

The Globe Theatre opened on January 10, 1910. Most of the Globe's early shows were revues and musicals, including several productions by Dillingham. The Globe was converted into a movie house operated by the Brandt chain in the 1930s. City Playhouses Inc., a partnership between developers Robert W. Dowling and William Zeckendorf, bought it in 1957. After the firm Roche and Roche completely renovated the interior, the former Globe was renamed and reopened on May 5, 1958. City Playhouses sold the Lunt-Fontanne to producers Cy Feuer and Ernest H. Martin in 1960, and it was then sold to developer Stanley Stahl in 1965. The Nederlanders have operated the theater since 1973.

" Princess Theatre 0.15 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Princess Theatre or Princess Theater may refer to:

" Ritz Theatre 0.17 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

Ritz Theatre or Ritz Theater is the name of several facilities:

In England
  • Ritz Theatre (Lincoln, England)
In Australia
  • Ritz Cinema, Sydney, a heritage-listed theatre in Sydney, New South Wales
In the United States
  • Ritz Theatre (Brunswick, Georgia), contributing property of the Brunswick Old Town Historic District
  • Ritz Theatre (Jacksonville), Duval County, Florida
  • Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center, Sanford, Seminole County, Florida, formerly the Ritz Theater, the Milane Theatre, and the Helen Stairs Theatre
  • Ritz Theatre (Haddon Township, New Jersey)
  • Ritz Theater (Newburgh, New York), Orange County
  • Walter Kerr Theatre, New York City, originally the Ritz Theatre
  • Ritz Theatre and Hoskins Rexall Drug Store No. 2, on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Anderson County, Tennessee
  • Ritz (Austin, Texas)
  • Ritz Theatre (Elizabeth, New Jersey)
" Holy Redeemer Catholic Church 0.19 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First United Methodist Church 0.21 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Presbyterian Cemetery 0.21 1 Cemeteries, Historic, Burial Places, Interesting Places Rex Theatre 0.21 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

Rex Theatre or Rex Theater may refer to:

" St. Louis Theatre 0.22 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

The Fox Theatre, a former movie palace, is a performing arts center located at 527 N. Grand Blvd. in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Also known as \"The Fabulous Fox\", it is situated in the arts district of the Grand Center area in Midtown St. Louis, one block north of Saint Louis University. It opened in 1929 and was completely restored in 1982.

" Salvation Army Citadel 0.25 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Church of God 0.27 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Star Theatre 0.31 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

Star Theatre(s) or Star Theater(s) may refer to several cinemas or theatres, including:

" Plaza Theatre 0.39 1 Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places

Plaza Theatre or Plaza Theater may refer to:

" Savoy Theatre 0.39 1 Architecture, Historic Architecture, Cinemas, Cultural, Theatres And Entertainments, Interesting Places, Destroyed Objects

The Savoy Theatre is a West End theatre in the Strand in the City of Westminster, London, England. The theatre was designed by C. J. Phipps for Richard D'Oyly Carte and opened on 10 October 1881 on a site previously occupied by the Savoy Palace. Its intended purpose was to showcase the popular series of comic operas of Gilbert and Sullivan, which became known as the Savoy operas.

The theatre was the first public building in the world to be lit entirely by electricity. For many years, the Savoy Theatre was the home of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, which continued to be run by the Carte family for over a century. Richard's son Rupert D'Oyly Carte rebuilt and modernised the theatre in 1929, and it was rebuilt again in 1993 following a fire. It is a Grade II* listed building.

In addition to The Mikado and other famous Gilbert and Sullivan premi\u00e8res, the theatre has hosted such premi\u00e8res as the first public performance in England of Oscar Wilde's Salome (1931) and No\u00ebl Coward's Blithe Spirit (1941). In recent years it has presented opera, Shakespeare and other non-musical plays, and musicals.

" Old Path Assembly Church 0.41 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Immanuel Baptist Church 0.46 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places First Christian Church 0.48 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Saint Marys Episcopal Church 0.51 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Westminster Presbyterian Church 0.54 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places Grace Missionary Baptist Church 0.59 1 Religion, Other Temples, Interesting Places
Best Places to Visit in El Dorado, Arkansas: El Dorado Things to Do, What is El Dorado, Arkansas known for (2024)

FAQs

Best Places to Visit in El Dorado, Arkansas: El Dorado Things to Do, What is El Dorado, Arkansas known for? ›

El Dorado is the county seat of Union County in south central Arkansas and a center for oil production and refining. Called once by boosters the “Queen City of South Arkansas” and, more recently, “Arkansas's Original Boomtown,” the city was the heart of the 1920s oil boom in South Arkansas.

What is El Dorado Arkansas known for? ›

El Dorado is the county seat of Union County in south central Arkansas and a center for oil production and refining. Called once by boosters the “Queen City of South Arkansas” and, more recently, “Arkansas's Original Boomtown,” the city was the heart of the 1920s oil boom in South Arkansas.

Why is El Dorado important to Arkansas? ›

El Dorado is the population, cultural and business center of south central Arkansas. The city was the heart of the 1920s oil boom in the area. During World War II, it became a center of the chemical industry, which still plays a part in the economy, as do oil and timber.

Does El Dorado Arkansas have an airport? ›

South Arkansas Regional Airport At Goodwill Field | Eldorado Arkansas Airport. South Arkansas Regional Airport at Goodwin Field is your gateway for air travel to and from El Dorado and all of South Arkansas and Northern Louisiana.

What is city of El Dorado known as? ›

A. City of Gold.

What is Dorado known as? ›

El Dorado was called the fabled “City of Gold”. El Dorado had a legendary story in which precious stones were found in a great amount along with the gold coins. According to Europeans El Dorado was a city of gold which is not discovered yet.

What is island of El Dorado legendary? ›

Legend has it that somewhere on the vast ocean lies The Island of El Dorado, where gold flows over the hills. Brave explorers set sail in search of the mythical island and their ships find themselves on its shores.

Why is El Dorado called the Lost city of gold? ›

The European myth that arose of El Dorado, as a lost city of gold waiting for discovery by an adventurous conqueror, encapsulates the Europeans' endless thirst for gold and their unerring drive to exploit these new lands for their monetary value.

What is Arkansas infamous for? ›

Arkansas is known for its diamond mine. The first diamonds were discovered in Arkansas in 1906, and since then, more than 70,000 diamonds have been mined from the state. When it comes to diamonds, the most famous destination in Arkansas is the Crater of Diamonds State Park.

What airline flies out of El Dorado Arkansas? ›

South Arkansas Regional Airport and the city of El Dorado is serviced by Southern Airways Express, offering 3 daily flights to Dallas / Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) with connections to over 250 non-stop destinations.

What major company is in El Dorado Arkansas? ›

Why El Dorado
Corporate Headquarters
RankCompanyProduct
1Murphy USARetail Fuel
2Nexans AmerCableElectrical Steel Cable
3Canfor Southern PineLumber, Laminated Beams, & Logs
2 more rows

What airlines fly out of Arkansas International Airport? ›

Airlines
  • Allegiant Air. Customer Service (702) 505-8888.
  • American Airlines. Customer Service: 1-800-433-7300.
  • Delta Airlines. Customer Service: 1-800-221-1212.
  • Customer Service: 1-800-435-9792.
  • United Airlines. Customer Service: 1-800-864-8331.
  • Frontier Airlines. Customer Service: 801-401-9000.

What does El Dorado mean? ›

El Dorado • \el-duh-RAH-doh\ • noun. 1 : a city or country of fabulous riches held by 16th century explorers to exist in South America 2 : a place of fabulous wealth or opportunity. Examples: "To outsiders, California's Silicon Valley looks like a contemporary El Dorado." (Time Magazine, Sept.

Where is El Dorado lost city of gold? ›

El Dorado is a mythical city in South America that is believed to be filled with gold. The legend of El Dorado originated from the indigenous people of the Muisca tribe in what is now Colombia. It originated in the 16th century around the time of the Spanish conquest.

What is another name for El Dorado? ›

On this page you'll find 21 synonyms, antonyms, and words related to Eldorado, such as: bonanza, cash cow, golconda, golden goose, goose that laid the golden egg, and gravy train.

Is the road to El Dorado Hispanic? ›

Parents need to know that The Road to El Dorado is a DreamWorks animated film about two Spanish con artists from the early 16th century who discover the fabled lost "city of gold" in the New World and are treated as gods by the tribe who lives there.

What is a dorado food? ›

In Mexico, mahi mahi is called dorado, and it's served all over that country's coastal regions, especially in the Pacific.

Is mahi-mahi tuna or dolphin? ›

Mahi refers to dolphinfish and ahi refers to tuna. Refers to two species of tuna of varying sizes.

Why is dorado called Dolphin? ›

The name “dolphin” most likely came about because of the fish's early scientific classification in the genus dolfyn. Mahi-mahi is the Hawaiian name for this fish, and the Spanish name is dorado. Whatever you call it, it's a great sport fish and absolutely gorgeous in the open ocean.

Why is El Dorado a legend? ›

El Dorado is considered to be a legend city because it has never been found despite many expeditions to locate it. Noteworthy expeditions were led by the Spanish conquistador Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada and English explorer Sir Walter Raleigh.

What is the legend of El Dorado Lake? ›

The legend of El Dorado is that the Muisca chief would arrive at the lake on a wooden raft with four of his priests. After being covered in gold, he would immerse himself in the water with treasures offered in adoration.

Is El Dorado top shelf? ›

El Dorado 21 year rum is our top shelf rum. It is a great after dinner sipper, and is extremely smooth and has a very long finish. Of note is that the age statement for this rum means that the youngest rum in the blend is 21 years old.

What is the #1 industry in Arkansas? ›

Agriculture is Arkansas' largest industry, adding around $16 billion to the state's economy annually. The Natural State's diverse landscape and climate produce a wide variety of Arkansas agricultural products.

What is the crime rate in El Dorado Arkansas? ›

El Dorado Annual Crimes
ViolentProperty
Number of Crimes286536
Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents)16.4930.91

What are some fun facts about El Dorado? ›

Fun Facts of El Dorado

Settlers began arriving in the area in the 1850s and trading posts were established along the Walnut River. El Dorado was platted in 1868 and incorporated September 12, 1871. Following the Civil War, El Dorado established itself as the county seat and grew to a city of nearly 3,500 by 1900.

What famous explorer was executed for trying to find El Dorado? ›

Although Raleigh was not directly involved, the Spanish demanded Raleigh's death upon his return to England. After several months of searching, Raleigh once again had failed to find El Dorado. After his return to England, Raleigh was arrested, and then executed at Westminster on October 29, 1618.

Is El Dorado The Lost city of gold? ›

The dream of El Dorado, a lost city of gold, led many a conquistador on a fruitless trek into the rainforests and mountains of South America. But it was all wishful thinking. The "golden one" was actually not a place but a person - as recent archaeological research confirms.

Is El Dorado Lake safe to swim in? ›

El Dorado Lake is particularly unique in that Zebra Mussels are found within the lake, and so all campers and visitors are advised to not swim barefooted in the lake. Aquatic footwear is recommended. If you don't fancy swimming, you may just sit on the sandy beach and take in the view.

Is The Road to El Dorado racist? ›

Indigenous rights organizations criticized the movie for its sexist and racist themes, and for its lack of historical sensitivity.

What animal is in The Road to El Dorado? ›

Bibo is an armadillo and an inhabitant of the jungle in Mexico.

What race are the people in El Dorado? ›

Population by RaceCounty: El Dorado
Population by RaceEl Dorado
Persons%
White146,11375.15%
Black/African American1,4070.72%
American Indian/Alaskan Native2,0391.05%
4 more rows

References

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Barbera Armstrong

Last Updated:

Views: 5610

Rating: 4.9 / 5 (59 voted)

Reviews: 82% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Barbera Armstrong

Birthday: 1992-09-12

Address: Suite 993 99852 Daugherty Causeway, Ritchiehaven, VT 49630

Phone: +5026838435397

Job: National Engineer

Hobby: Listening to music, Board games, Photography, Ice skating, LARPing, Kite flying, Rugby

Introduction: My name is Barbera Armstrong, I am a lovely, delightful, cooperative, funny, enchanting, vivacious, tender person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.